Sunday, September 9, 2012

The week in brief

I and E were playing in the living room this past week while I was doing some things in the kitchen. The couch was a ship (it has been many things in its 25 year life...and it shows...). They had collected all the toy food from our pretend kitchen as well as the two big Melissa and Doug chopping knives we have, several books, stuffed animals, cars, trains, and other things that I am still finding in the cushions...they were sailing away on the ocean. I observed this exchange:

I: "There is a shark! Quick, E, jump in and battle it!" (handing him a knife)
E: (takes the knife, looks warily in the 'water') "What if I get boo boos?"
I: "That's what happens in battles. You'll be fine."
E: "But I'll get boo boos."
I: "I'll wipe the blood off later. You'll be fine. Now get in there and bop it on the head."
E: (Still regarding the 'water' with uncertainty) "Ummmm...no way."
I: (Sighing exasperatedly) "Fine! I'll do it. Give me the knife!"
      (I snatches knife, leaps off the couch/ship, 'battles' the 'shark', and turns to climb back up out of the 'water.')
I: "See?! I fixed it. I'm fine. No boo boos."

I was proud of E for taking a stand, and I was proud of I for jumping in instead of waiting around to be saved. Not to mention the fact that this little game of theirs lasted a good 15 or 20 minutes before anyone screamed at/hit/pushed/kicked anyone else. Not that any of those things ever happen in our house. Ever.


I got a $7 haircut last week. Not something I would recommend. I might have to go and buy a real haircut now to fix it. Sometimes I envy Husband's hairdo.


In e news, we have been cleared for now of imminent concerns RE hydrocephalus. Phew. Our pediatrician spoke with the neurosurgeon and clarified some of the instructions. It sounds like e's fontanel could be full due to some of the other abnormalities in his brain. (About which I will gain further clarification at our next Peds appointment.) A CT scan will be planned at some point in the next month or two. Until then and as long as none of the other symptoms of hydrocephalus show up, we can cross that off our list of things to fret about this week.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great story about I and E! Don't you love the differences in each of your children?! It is so clear to me that we come with our own personalities and inclinations regardless of our environment.

    My father has a hairdo like A's and I often envied him the ease. I'm not sure he agreed with me, but ahhh the reduction in time and stress for styling!

    So glad that one concern has been eliminated this week! Hope to continue to get such good news!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great story! Glad to hear the good new about Sir e.

    ReplyDelete